The Trump Administration has announced a "Call for Nominations" which is the next step toward leasing parts of the Arctic Refuge for oil and gas development. The Coastal Plain where oil and gas development would take place is the single most ecologically and culturally sensitive region of the Arctic Refuge. We need rapid action to let the Bureau of Land Management know that US citizens do not support drilling in the Refuge.
The BLM is accepting public comments via postal service ONLY. And they must be received by December 17, 2020. We need a groundswell of mailed comments defending the Arctic Refuge. Here is how you can participate:
1. Send a letter or postcard to the BLM expressing your opposition to drilling in the Arctic Refuge. Remember, the BLM is not required to respond to comments it can classify as "opinion." Steer clear of overly emotive language and focus on fact-based comments such as highlighting insufficient environmental assessments, damage to caribou birthing grounds, or social justice for Indigenous Americans depending upon the Refuge for food security and cultural heritage.
Mail to: State Director, Bureau of Land Management, Alaska State Office, 222 West 7th Avenue, Mailstop 13, Anchorage, AK 99513-7504
2. Have us send a letter for you! Fill out the form below and let us know in the Message box that you'd like us to send a letter to the BLM to protest the leasing of the Arctic Refuge for Oil and Gas development on your behalf.
3. Spread the word on social media and ask your friends to help get as many comments delivered to the BLM as possible. Copy and paste the link to this webpage. Post with a message like:
"The Arctic Refuge is at risk of being leased off before the next inauguration. Join me in participating in the public comment period open NOW and tell the BLM that US citizens oppose drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Comments must be received via snail mail by December 17! Visit the @ProTheArctic link below to learn how you can participate and help #ProtectTheArctic!"
1. Email your U.S. Embassy and ask them to make responsible climate policy central to their American diplomacy agenda. Google "[Your Country] US Embassy contact."
2. Move any banking, savings, and investments from financial institutions like Bank of America which finance Arctic drilling. Ask your employer if your pension is divested from harmful oil and gas development. Search for green international banks HERE.
3. Share your support for permanent protection of the Arctic Refuge to social. Use the hashtag #ProtectTheArctic and tell America that the world is watching.